Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Random Makeup Inspiration and a J-Band

Speaking of vampires, I just happened to discover a lovely gothic model yesterday by the name of Freyja Vampire. Her makeup is AWESOME! One day I will shave my eyebrows. Or bleach them or something. But I really like her look. It's super extreme, elegant, yet scary, which I love. One day when I don't need to look "professional" at work, I swear...The problem with being an artist is sometimes you want to use yourself as the canvas, y'know? A friend of mine says he's waiting for all the baby boomers to die off so dress codes won't be so strict. Haha. Sadly, some of my favorite people in the world are Baby Boomers, so I do hope that doesn't happen too soon. Still. Is purple hair really that offensive?

Kidding aside, here is Freyja's website. Linkage for you: http://freyjavampirex.webs.com/
Ain't she purdy?
Photo is Freyja Vampire's.
So yeah, check her out. I've also been heavily influenced lately by Rooney Mara in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I still haven't seen the movie or read the book, but I love this chick's look as well. It's very androdgynous, sparse, and eerie.
Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander
Now back to the extreme side of things, let me introduce you to Jack Spooky. He fronts a creepy circus-themed Japanese band called the Candy Spooky Theater. Not only is Jack a pretty little sucker, but he sports a wild makeup job that I want to try one day when I have the excuse to do so.
In typical Japanese fashion, nothing is done halfway.
Anyway, Google this dude or something. About the Candy Spooky Theater itself...I'm nots ure what to think of it. It's not quite my cup of tea. I've found one or two Japanese bands that I kind of like, but in general, J-rock tends to be a little...Hot Topic-y? Or something. I don't know. Like I said, I can't get into it. CST has a bouncy, horror-circus atmosphere that is kind of like Marilyn Manson meets Danny Elfman. I am a big fan of Elfman's. Manson, not so much. But you might get a kick out of 'em, so I have posted a video of one of their songs below.
THIS IS HALLOWEEN, MUTHAS.

Lastly, let's throw in some Sweeney Todd. Gotta love the super pale, hollow-eyed look of the two protagonists of Tim Burton's Sweeney production. This is a look that works for every-day wear, as long as you manage to not make yourself look too much like a crackhead.
Remember, children: Brown eye shadow is way better than black when going for a more naturally dead or sleep-deprived look. Subtle shades of purple can work, too.
Or: Like the crackhead look? GO RED!
Just so you young'ns remember, it's never good to straight up copy somebody's style or makeup (though I'd say that doing it with *some* movie characters isn't quite as bad). Can you copy it for practice purposes, though? Heck yes! Copying the masters is how you learn. As long as you keep it confined to the bathroom or cosplay and don't try to pass it off as your own, it's all good. And as long as you don't dress like the Crow. Please don't dress like the Crow. But you can certainly take inspiration from other people, and give their look your own twist.

 Hope you enjoyed. Y'all come back now, y'hear?
Z

No comments: